Volunteer with us
How can I get involved?
From chinaware to activism and non-commercial art, PRSC is a hub for radical expression. We are a dynamic collective of artists & activists committed to cultivating and facilitating a spectrum of events, workshops and activities driven by the needs of the communities it supports.
We believe that the world needs spaces in which to share skills, ideas, stories and tools and we believe that this should be low cost and available to everyone, regardless of their financial income.
There are many aspects of PRSC that rely on the support of volunteers. Opportunities to get involved range from 4 month programmes to regular work days that are open for people to join as and when they are able to. All of our current volunteering opportunities can be found below
Stokes Croft China – Shop Assistants
Stokes Croft China finances the community work of the People’s Republic of Stokes Croft. We decorate fine English bone china, using salvaged ceramic transfers from a bygone era. In our local studio and factory we create our own designs, and work with commissions and bespoke wholesale orders. We also run friendly, creative workshops for people to make their own unique piece of ware. Profits from our lovely china shop go directly back into supporting PRSC’s community activism and artistic activities.
● Help us make and maintain displays of the art made here
● Speak with the customers and make the shop a good atmosphere to be in
● Pack orders and support the logistical running of the shop
● Create content for Stokes Croft China social media
● A regular afternoon slot every 1-2 weeks
● A duration of 2-3 months
Paintenance Volunteer Days
We are organising volunteer days on the first and the third Wednesday of each month, from 2 – 6pm, to work on the painting and maintenance of the PRSC buildings. It’s open for anyone to join in for the whole or parts of the afternoon, but do let us know beforehand if you are planning to come so we can organise the work with numbers in mind.
Venue Management Volunteer Programme (SPACE Cadets)
The PRSC Space is an affordable venue for political, cultural or community activities. To keep the hire costs down we are organising the Space Cadets team to help with all aspects of managing a venue such as: taking bookings, offering venue viewings and inductions to event managers, and helping out on site during the events. The programme runs for 4 months at a time and will be open for a second round of applicants by the end of the summer 2022. Check out the SPACE Cadets page for a full description of the programme.
As well as hiring out the venue we also run our own in-house events, such as the People’s Art Fair and the School of Activism, designed to empower and inspire and we are always looking for volunteers to help plan, promote and manage these events.
● Help to staff the cafe/bar; assist with workshops; invigilate exhibitions; help out at the opening nights etc.
● Help to promote our in-house events, such as creating content for social media, creating listings and putting up posters.
● Help to document and record events, including editing material from past events.
Loovre Gallery Volunteer Curators
The Loovre, Bristol’s smallest gallery, “challenges the concepts of private and public space and questions the pomposity and elitism of the traditional art world”. We are looking for two people who would like to try their hands at sharing the role of curator for Bristol’s smallest gallery. The role would be suitable for people who are interested in learning more about working with arts and culture, and who are inspired to make the gallery work in collaboration with other PRSC projects such as the People’s Art Fair. Read more about the role and the vision for the Loovre gallery.
Murals & Walls
Help paint colourful, topical, political artwork around the city. Help needed occasionally, with activities ranging from painting over tags and touching up murals to full-blown, large scale artworks (with the opportunity to work mid-large scale, alone and in teams on walls and pieces in central locations).
There is always space to get involved with other areas of PRSC work if you have a few hours to spare each week or want to take on a more long term role or project, for example:
● Support us with researching grants and write applications and reports
Cataloguing and Archiving
● Help us sort through and organise our large collection of posters, leaflets, artwork and ephemera from all the years of PRSC activity and make it accessible in creative ways
Media and Marketing
● Help to promote our in-house events and communicate with the world. We need help creating content for social media, creating listings, putting up posters, documenting and recording events, editing media material from past events and more
Once a month we host a social and creative evening for all staff, volunteers & tenants at PRSC, as a chance for everyone who works in our buildings to come together and get to know each other while sharing some creative ideas… or playing darts!
Get in touch!