- This event has passed.
Lift the Ban Panel Discussion
Thu 13 February, 2020 @ 18:30 - 21:00
A panel discussion as part of Student Action for Refugee’s Lift the Ban Campaign. We will be talking to five guests about their different perspectives on and experiences with the ban on asylum seekers working in the UK. The panel will include:
- Thangam Debbonaire – Bristol West MP
- Fleur Williams – Independent researcher, who studies Migration and Mobility MSC also involved in freelance campaigning/policy work
- Qerim Nuredini – Red Cross
- Ahmed Bakaal – Activist, and someone who has been impacted by the ban first hand
- Jessie Seal – NACCOM (No Accommodation Network)
Lift the Ban is a campaign with the goal of gaining asylum seekers the right to work. Currently asylum seekers are not allowed to work in the UK and are left to struggle on an allowance of £5.39 per day. This means qualified people are unable to provide for themselves and their families and often are pushed into poverty. People seeking safety in our country are put into a state of limbo, unable to fulfill their potential or assimilate into their new community.
Come along to learn more about the impacts of this ban from a range of different perspectives, and how we can fight it!