PRSC believes that a healthy society is one in which the citizens have space to meet, share ideas, perform theatre, exhibit art, create, debate, learn and dance together. Our Space provides an accessible and affordable cultural hub, a platform for grass-roots arts, a meeting room for political groups, a venue for community projects and a resource that is available to everyone. Priority is given to educational, cultural and political activities, and to events being run by (or aimed at) people who are otherwise at risk of exclusion.
In order to provide such a high quality venue at these low prices, we run a ‘self-service’ system. In advance of your booking you will receive an induction which will give you all the info you need to open and manage the space yourself without the need of supervision from PRSC staff.
PRSC The Space is located in a historic building, and has been beautifully and sensitively restored to allow maximum flexibility for hosting creative events and exhibitions.
The space is ideal for:
- Public Debates and meetings
- Theatre and performance
- Film screenings
- We have a Cafe Bar
- 10.4m X 11.6m, see floor plan for detailed measurements
- (stage area: 4m X 6.4m)
Location and access
17-25 Jamaica Street, BS2 8JP. Access through double doors on the corner with Hillgrove Street
Our venue is fully wheelchair accessible, but unfortunately our toilets are not. We intend to adapt our toilets in the future when we continue to develop our building.
Up to 150 people standing and 80 seated – depending on stage/seating configuration
What happens after my booking?
Once a booking has been made you will receive an invoice for the full amount of your event hire fee (including any equipment hire).
Your booking will be fully confirmed once this invoice has been paid.
Once the booking is confirmed a date will be arranged for an induction session (how to open up & lock up, where the light switches are, how to use the equipment, what to do in case of emergency etc). Once you have been inducted you will be ready to roll.
Tea & coffee
A kitchen with tea and coffee making facilities is available to all event managers.
Please provide your own milk and put a coin in our donation pot for every hot drink served.
We can stock a bar for you to run and you can keep the profits
OR we can run a bar for you and keep the takings ourselves
Any event involving the sale of alcohol must be booked and agreed 3 weeks in advance.
Our licence allows the sale of alcohol until 9pm and music etc to run until 10.30pm.
Licence extensions can be applied for if you want to do something a bit later (say until midnight on a Friday or Saturday), please get in touch if you are considering this option.
We are based in a residential neighbourhood and work hard to remain friends with our neighbours so we can’t host really late or really loud stuff.
Sound and lighting
- Lighting – Fluorescent strip lights & spots
- Sound equipment and PA system
See ‘Pricing’ for more information and prices.
Included as standard
- 8 x 4ft wooden stage blocks, black.
- Kitchen (equipped with crockery, glassware, some cutlery, utensils, kettle, sink with H&C)
- Bar area – large serving hatch, 2 x fridge
- 2 x toilets (both have Hot and Cold running water and will be stocked with loo roll – you might want to BYO hand towels, as we don’t have hand-dryers)
- Tables (there are 4 or 5 odd sized tables, in reasonable condition)
- Foldable chairs (approx. 70)
- Furniture on wheels including 2 shelves for storage (H 2.6m X W 2.58m X D 0.64m), sofas and smaller items
Venue Hire Fees
Evenings and weekends
- £20 hourly rate
- £85 for up to 6 hours
- £150 for a full day (collect the key the previous day and open & close the venue when you want).
Daytime weekdays (events finishing at 6pm or earlier, Mon-Fri)
- £15 per hour
- £60 for up to 6 hours
Set up and Hire of Equipment
- If you would like any assistance in setting up your event or on-site assistance, this will be charged at £10 per hour.
Good to know
- All bookings over 2 hours will involve an additional £50 deposit which will be refunded in full if the space is left clean for the next event (£10 will be taken from the deposit for every hour of staff time required to clean the space after an event).
- Noise/timings: there must be no amplified noise after 21.00hrs. All guests must be out of the building and external doors locked by 23hrs at the latest.
- Full payment will be required to secure your booking.
Equipment Hire Fees
- 1x Small PA, with 2x mics and stands = £20 per event
- 1x Large PA, with 2 mics & stands = £50 per event
- 1x Lighting bar, with 3 spotlights and a DMX controller = £50
- 1x Lighting bar, with 3 spotlights = £30 per event
- 1x DMX controller = £20 per event
- Full music and lighting kit = £100